Premier Stephen McNeil is traveling to France to promote trade and investment, and to lay a wreath at the Juno Beach Canadian Memorial, next week, Nov. 13-19. “It’s important to continue to build on our relationship with businesses in France, so we can strengthen our trading partnerships and encourage investment in Nova Scotia,” said Premier McNeil. “Improving our economy will create more jobs and opportunities for Nova Scotians.” Premier McNeil will meet with government officials and businesses in the defense, aerospace, manufacturing, digital media, food and hospitality, and security sectors. One of the companies Premier McNeil will visit is Michelin’s head office. “As our province’s largest private manufacturer, Michelin is an extremely important part of our economy and gives our province a competitive advantage,” said Premier McNeil. “We support Michelin and want to see them continue to grow in Nova Scotia.” On Nov. 17, the premier will travel to Juno Beach to pay respects to and remember Nova Scotia soldiers and their sacrifice. “I am both humbled and honoured to be able to lay a wreath at the Juno Beach Canadian Memorial on behalf of Nova Scotians,” said Premier McNeil. “This memorial acknowledges the brave Canadians who made the ultimate sacrifice in the pursuit of the very freedoms that we as Canadians often take for granted.” Nova Scotia exported more than $90 million worth of products to France in 2016. The primary exports were seafood and aircraft parts.
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un says he has suspended all missile tests and will shut down a nuclear test site.“From 21 April, North Korea will stop nuclear tests and launches of intercontinental ballistic missiles,” the country’s state news agency said. “It will also contribute to creating a very positive environment for the success of the upcoming South-North summit and North-United States summit,” a statement from Mr Moon’s office said. Mr Kim is due to meet his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in next week for the first inter-Korean summit in over a decade, and US President Donald Trump by June.Both countries have been pushing Pyongyang to denuclearise and they reacted positively to the latest development. The decision to suspend missile launches was made during a meeting of the ruling party’s central committee on Friday, the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said.In a statement quoted by the agency, Mr Kim said it was no longer necessary to conduct missile tests because “nuclear weaponisation” had been achieved.“The northern nuclear test site has completed its mission,” he said. Mr Kim said further tests were unnecessary because Pyongyang’s nuclear capabilities had been “verified”. “This is very good news for North Korea and the World – big progress!” Mr Trump tweeted after the announcement.On Thursday, the US leader said there was a “bright path available to North Korea when it achieves denuclearisation”.A spokesperson for the South Korean president called the North’s move “meaningful progress”. The surprise announcement comes as North Korea prepares for historic talks with South Korea and the US. This echoes a previous statement made during a New Year address in which Mr Kim declared his nuclear and ballistic missile programs completed.After six nuclear tests North Korea may feel it does not need to upgrade its existing designs, says the BBC’s Laura Bicker in Seoul.Although Pyongyang said it would abolish its nuclear test site, there is no indication it is planning to get rid of its existing weapons.The decision to halt missile tests is also aimed at pursuing economic growth, according to KCNA. Mr Kim reportedly pledged to “concentrate all efforts” on developing a socialist economy during Friday’s meeting. (Courtesy BBC)