2012 Woodlot of the Year Recipients Announced

first_imgA Musquodoboit Valley family has been chosen as this year’s recipient of the Woodlot Owner of the Year Award for their contribution to sustainable forest management in the province. Pat and Janet O’Toole, who run a 243-acre woodlot in Carrolls Corner, were chosen as the provincial winner, and central regional winner for their commitment to low impact harvesting. The family’s practice of partial harvesting ensures steady growth of trees of varying ages resulting in continuous tree cover. “This award is an opportunity to recognize the efforts of woodlot owners in promoting sustainability for the economic and environmental health of our forestry industry,” said Charlie Parker Minister of Natural Resources. “This year’s recipients have demonstrated best practices in woodlot management.” The O’Toole woodlot also features a maple syrup operation, and numerous hiking trails which have been used by local scouting and 4-H groups for exploring and learning opportunities. The O’Tooles will be presented with the award at a public field day on Sept. 29. Other regional winners include Jim and Ann Crooker of Caledonia, Queens Co. in the western region, and Mike and Mary Penny of Lochaber Lake, Antigonish Co. in the eastern region. They will each be presented with awards during separate field days on Sept. 15 and Sept. 22 respectively. The Department of Natural Resources has presented the Woodlot Owner of the Year Award program since 1990. Nominations are evaluated by department staff for regional winners, while the provincial winner is selected by a committee of foresters, wildlife specialists, industry representatives, previous winners, and environmental or forestry undergraduate students. Nova Scotia residents who own 20 to 800 hectares of woodland in are eligible for woodlot owner awards. Nominations are accepted at Department of Natural Resources offices until April 15 each year. More information is available on the department’s website at http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/woodlot/woya/ . FOR BROADCAST USE A Musquodoboit Valley family has been awarded the 2012 Woodlot Owner of the Year from the Department of Natural Resources. Pat and Janet O’Toole were recognized for their sustainable forest management practices and diversity of forest management techniques on the family’s 243-hectare property. Natural Resources Minister Charlie Parker says the O’Toole’s woodlot is a showcase of best practices in forest management. The award will be presented to the O’Tooles during a public field tour on their woodlot on September 29th. -30-last_img read more

Continue reading

Gilmore rules out seeking extension to Troikas deficit deadline

first_imgTÁNAISTE EAMON GILMORE has ruled out the prospect of having the government ask the EU-IMF Troika for extra time to meet its budget deficit targets – overruling a junior minister who earlier said a delay might be sought.RTÉ News has broadcast footage of Gilmore, being interviewed for tonight’s The Week in Politics, where the Tánaiste said he believed the public wanted an end to the series of austerity budgets aimed at bringing Ireland’s deficit under 3 per cent of total economic output.“We have to get the deficit down, and we have to deal with it,” Gilmore said.“I actually think that what people want to see – people want to see where is the end of this.”The Tánaiste bluntly added: “We need to get this over with.”The original bailout deal agreed with the Troika – which complemented a previous programme agreed with the European Commission, before Ireland entered the bailout – asked Ireland to get its deficit to under 3 per cent of GDP by 2014.This was renegotiated to 2015 after the current government entered office. In advance of last year’s general election, Labour had argued for the deadline to be extended to 2016.Earlier today a junior minister from Gilmore’s party had been reported as saying the government would broach the topic of extending the deadline, following the IMF’s slight back-track and admission that austerity programmes hit economies harder than first thought.Junior trade minister Joe Costello told today’s Sunday Times that the government would seek clarification from the IMF as to whether it now believed trying to reach the 3 per cent mark by 2015 would be detrimental to Ireland’s overall economic state.Read: IMF: Irish economy to grow but unemployment will remain high in 2013last_img read more

Continue reading