An architectural rendering depicts the proposed North Island Inn all-suite boutique hotel. By Donald WittkowskiA proposed all-suite boutique hotel that languished on the drawing board while the economy remained sluggish for several years was granted final approval Wednesday night by Ocean City planners.Called the North Island Inn, the 15-unit complex is planned at the corner of 10th Street and Ocean Avenue and would join a cluster of hotels in the same area owned by the project’s developer, Anthony J. Frank, and his family.By a 9-0 vote, the Ocean City Planning Board granted final site plan approval for the hotel, welcoming the project as a key addition to the city’s hospitality district in the heart of town.“We would love to see a new, modern hotel in our city,” planning board member Gary Jessel said. “It looks like this is going in that direction.”The board originally gave the project preliminary approval in 2014, but the hotel was put on hold during the fragile economy, Frank explained in an interview.“Now, the economy is definitely picking up,” he said of the reason for reviving the project.Although he now has final site plan approval in hand, Frank plans to wait until the fall of 2019 to begin construction and would open the hotel in 2020. It would include three stories of hotel space built over a ground-level garage.Members of the planning board welcomed the addition of a new hotel in town while giving the proposed North Island Inn project their unanimous approval.North Island Inn would be located across the street from Frank’s Impala Island Inn at 10th Street and Ocean Avenue. It would be the latest addition to an enclave of Frank-owned lodging facilities in the same neighborhood, including the Wild Dunes Inn and the Ebb Tide Suites. Frank also owns the Beach Club Suites on the Boardwalk.Frank said the experience he gained from developing other hotels has given him the confidence to move forward with the North Island Inn.“I’ve done it before. All of them were successful,” he said.North Island Inn will not be affiliated with any hotel chains, Frank noted. The inn’s all-suite accommodations will allow the property to market itself to families that are taking extended vacations in Ocean City.To create space for the North Island Inn, Frank plans to demolish a small annex of the Impala Island Inn as well as an old garage that occupies the corner of Ninth Street and Ocean Avenue. The annex and the garage will continue to operate through the 2018 and 2019 summer tourist seasons, but will be torn down when construction begins on the hotel.In other business Wednesday night, the board gave preliminary site plan approval to a proposed condo-hotel project that was rejected last year but gained new life during a legal battle with the city.A Superior Court judge ruled in August that the planning board exceeded its authority and acted in an “arbitrary, capricious and unreasonable” manner when it denied site plan approval in April 2016 for the proposed Soleil Resort project.Judge Julio L. Mendez found that the project fully complied with the zoning requirements in the city redevelopment zone where it would be built. He ordered the planning board to approve the project.Faced with no other choice, the board gave Soleil its unanimous approval Wednesday. There was no discussion about the project before the vote was taken.Select Properties Inc., of Colmar, Pa., and Ernst Brothers Designers and Builders, of Spring House, Pa., have teamed up to develop the Soleil project on what is now a parking lot at the corner of Ocean Avenue and 11th Street, adjacent to the Flanders Hotel.An architectural rendering depicts the proposed Soleil Resort project at 11th Street and Ocean Avenue.The developers have proposed a 111-unit oceanfront complex that would function as a hotel. While the six-story building would remain a hotel resort, the individual units would be sold as condominiums.The planning board members had expressed skepticism that Soleil would truly be a hotel. They argued that the project was a hotel in “name only” when they voted 7-1 last year to reject the project.Soleil also drew objections from some local business owners and members of the community last year. They contended that it was a poorly disguised condominium complex, not the condo-hotel that the developers had insisted they wanted to build.In particular, the project aroused fierce public opposition from residents in the adjacent Flanders Hotel, which operates as a condo-hotel. Soleil is regarded as a potential formidable competitor for the Flanders, one of the city’s most historic and iconic businesses.During three stormy public hearings that led up to the planning board’s rejection of the project, opponents claimed that the Soleil was too big for the surrounding neighborhood and would create gridlock on local streets already congested during the peak summer tourist season.Soleil’s developers must return to the planning board at some point to seek final site plan approval, a process that will subject the project to further public scrutiny.In an interview last month, Joe Ernst, one of Soleil’s partners, said the development team hopes to begin construction in 2018. He noted the developers are in the process of applying to the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection for a coastal construction permit needed for the project.Select Properties and Ernst Brothers have indicated they intend to build Soleil in three stages, starting with a condo tower on Ocean Avenue, followed by a parking garage and ending with another condo tower on 11th Street.According to plans, Soleil Resort will be built on what is now a parking lot adjacent to the Flanders Hotel, in the background.
By U.S. Embassy in Paraguay July 22, 2020 Through the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the U.S. government made an initial delivery of 50 new, state-of-the-art ventilators to Paraguay to help the country combat COVID-19.The donation is part of a gift from U.S. President Donald Trump of 250 ventilators to support Paraguay in the urgent fight against the pandemic and as a symbol of the solid and enduring friendship between the peoples of the United States and Paraguay.The donation of 50 ventilators to Paraguay was carried out July 14 during an official ceremony. Paraguayan President Mario Abdo Benítez, U.S. Ambassador Lee McClenny, and Paraguayan Minister of Public Health Julio Mazzoleni took part in the ceremony.The high-demand, state-of-the-art ventilators are compact and portable, and will give Paraguay greater flexibility in the treatment of coronavirus patients.Along with the ventilators, USAID is funding a personalized package for additional support, including support teams, service plans, and technical assistance. This donation is on top of the $1.3 million that USAID has allocated to support Paraguay in its pandemic response, which helps to strengthen hospital care, disseminate risk awareness, improve lab capabilities and health surveillance, and support disease prevention, among other measures.The U.S. government is a long-standing partner to Paraguay, investing more than $456 million in the last 20 years, including more than $42 million in health care.
While it’s easy for people to get excited or nervous about the latest data released from the WHO and the CDC, the best way to know you’re getting the most accurate information is relying on your state and local level health resources. “Right now there is basically never-ending new information about COVID-19,” said Holochak. “It’s even difficult for us to keep up on everything with the New York State Department of Health.” (WBNG) — With several national and worldwide organizations releasing new information and guidelines on the coronavirus everyday, it can be hard to keep up on what is the most accurate. For more information on the latest guidelines and health safety information for New York, head over to the New York State Department of Health’s website. Holochak says whether you’re a business owner wondering what you’re allowed to open or you’re just curious about your personal health concerns, it’s easy to give your local health department a call. At the Tioga County Health Department, public health educator, Kylie Holochak, says it can be confusing for people in her department as well. “Especially here in Tioga County, we’re always happy to take those phone calls,” said Holochak. “We always appreciate it when people call us for clarification. If we can’t give you an answer right away, we will track down the right answer for you.” The World Health Organization (WHO) released information recently that it quickly retracted. On Monday, it stated people who are asymptomatic with the virus rarely spread it to others. However, the next day, scientists stated they haven’t determined how frequently asymptomatic people actually spread it.
– Advertisement – Harry Styles, Florence Pugh and more stars of the upcoming movie Don’t Worry Darling were forced to quarantine after a crew member tested positive for the novel coronavirus.New Line Cinemas confirmed to Deadline that it temporarily shut down production on the Olivia Wilde-directed psychological thriller in downtown Los Angeles on Wednesday, November 4. The website reported that the person who contracted the virus “was in close enough proximity” to the cast, which also includes Chris Pine, Gemma Chan, KiKi Layne and Nick Kroll, so the studio decided that it was necessary to stop filming in case any others were exposed.- Advertisement – Styles joined the cast of Don’t Worry Darling in September after Shia LaBeouf departed due to a scheduling conflict. Filming began on October 20.The movie — which Wilde, 36, also cowrote and stars in — is set in California in the 1950s and follows a housewife named Alice (Pugh) who discovers that her husband, Jack (Styles), is hiding a dark secret. It is the former One Direction member’s second movie role following 2017’s Dunkirk, in which he played a British soldier named Alex. After wrapping Don’t Worry Darling, Styles is set to star alongside Lily James in the LGBTQ drama My Policeman.The “Watermelon Sugar” singer decided to return to acting after the pandemic forced him to postpone his Love on Tour until 2021.- Advertisement – Production is expected to be on hold for approximately 14 days as Styles, 26, Pugh, 24, Pine, 40, and the rest of the cast and crew self-isolate.Don’t Worry Darling is not the first movie to stop filming amid the COVID-19 pandemic. After Tom Hanks tested positive for the virus in March, the Baz Luhrmann-directed Elvis Presley biopic in which the Forrest Gump star, 64, plays the late singer’s longtime manager, Tom Parker, had to press pause on production. Six months later, Robert Pattinson was reportedly diagnosed with the coronavirus, delaying filming for The Batman.- Advertisement – “I’m lucky I’m with friends in our little, safe self-isolation pod,” he told BBC Radio’s 1Xtra Residency in March. “It’s a strange time, but we’re just being careful, listening to music, playing games, doing some face masks. You know, the classic quarantine stuff!”Scroll down to see more photos of the Don’t Worry Darling cast on set before the shutdown.
Promoted Content10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do7 Reasons Why You Might Want To Become A Vegetarian8 Things That Will Happen If An Asteroid Hits Earth10 Body Features That Are Extremely Rare But Very RemarkableTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The World5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks7 Universities In The World Where Education Costs Too MuchWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?9 Facts You Should Know Before Getting A TattooWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?7 Universities Where Getting An Education Costs A Hefty PennyThe Models Of Paintings Whom The Artists Were Madly In Love With Read Also: Video: Messi lucky to escape red card during Barca vs Athletic clubLazio – four points behind Juventus – play Atalanta in Bergamo bidding to keep their bid for a first Serie A title since 2000 on track.Roma, in fifth, host relegation-threatend Sampdoria in the Stadio Olimpico.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Inter, in third, are eight points behind leaders Juventus and four adrift of second-placed Lazio who travel to Atalanta later Wednesday.“The draw hurts us,” said Inter boss Antonio Conte.“We had several chances to kill off the game. There is a lot of regret. If we look at the goals there is so much to be reviewed, small and big individual errors.”Conte’s side got off to the worst possible start at the San Siro with Italian forward Francesco Caputo opening the scoring for the visitors after just four minutes.Caputo, 32, punished some poor defending, picking up a Filip Djuricic cross to slide the ball past a stunned Samir Handanovic.But a Jeremie Boga foul on Milan Skriniar allowed Inter to get back into the game as Lukaku stepped up on 41 minutes to score from the penalty spot.Cristiano Biraghi then broke through following good work with Alexis Sanchez for the defender’s first league goal for Inter in first-half stoppage time.Inter could rue Roberto Gagliardini’s spectacularly missed chance to give the hosts a two-goal cushion, hitting the crossbar in front of goal.Three goals came in the final ten minutes with Domenico Berardi pulling Sassuolo level from the penalty spot on 81 minutes.Lukaku had a goal ruled offside before Borja Valero latched onto an Antonio Candreva free-kick to tap in five minutes later.But defender Giangiacomo Magnani bagged a point for 12th-placed Sassuolo with one minute to go.Conte’s woes were compounded by defender Skriniar being sent-off in extra time. Romelu Lukaku struck his 25th goal of the season but Inter Milan’s title hopes stalled on Wednesday night with a 3-3 draw against Sassuolo.Advertisement Loading…
New proposed legislation would require Florida couples to read a marriage guide before tying the knot.Republican Senator Dennis Baxley, of District 12 filed the proposed S.B. 682 legislation on Oct. 28 in an effort “to combat the rising cost of divorce to Florida’s citizens.”The bill would create a Marriage Education Committee within the Department of Children and Families.The committee would then publish the ‘Florida Guide to a Healthy Marriage,’ a book covering marriage topics such as communication skills, parenting, conflict management, financial issues, and domestic violence.Under the bill, couples would have to sign an affidavit under oath, saying they’ve read it.“The facts are mounting, and the high cost of divorce impacting Florida’s Families in human and public costs must be addressed,” Sen. Baxley said in a statement. “This marriage handbook can help Florida Families build healthy families, giving them a guide to building a strong foundation.”The ‘Florida Guide to a Healthy Marriage’ would fall under the current ‘Florida Family Law Handbook.’ State law requires couples to read that handbook or other marriage-related information before receiving a marriage license.The Marriage Education Committee would consist of six marriage education and family advocates.Furthermore, the ‘Florida Guide to a Healthy Marriage’ would be paid for through funding from private sources, not taxpayer money.The funds would cover the costs of creating the book, as well as printing and distributing copies.If passed by the Florida Legislature, the law would go into effect on July 1, 2020.
An alarming incident caught on camera of a Florida teacher physically removing the 14 year old student from his classroom at Palm Coast Middle School.Jeffrey Paffumi was arrested this week for the incident at Buddy Taylor Middle School, some of which was captured on cell phone video by a student.The student’s father tells WESH he wanted to press charges immediately after seeing the footage.According to the arrest report, the student admitted to calling the teacher a racial slur. Investigators say the teacher said the student was playing music from his computer and refused to turn it off. He also said the student slapped his hand away before he attempted to remove him from the classroom.The Flagler County Sheriff’s Office says Paffumi removed the 14-year-old from his chair, carried him out of the class, and shoved him down the hall. The 47-year-old teacher was hit with a battery charge. Officials say Paffumi has been in trouble with the law before. He was also charged with criminal mischief and battery in 2012. Paffumi has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.
BOCA RATON, Fla. – A sea turtle being treated at the Gumbo Limbo Nature Center in Boca Raton recently passed more than 100 pieces of plastic in her stool, the nature center posted on social media.The turtle named “Zatanna” was recovering from a hook removal surgery when she began passing large pieces of plastic debris in her stool.Pieces of plastic found in stool of rescued sea turtle (City of Boca Raton/Gumbo Limbo Nature Center)The turtle passed bottle caps, pieces of cutlery, Zip-lock bags and large plastic shards.“This turtle was likely foraging in open water where floating mats of trash are sadly becoming the norm. We must take a stand by refusing single-use plastics!” the post read.The Gumbo Limbo Nature Center is operated by the city of Boca Raton in conjunction with the Friends of Gumbo Limbo and the Greater Boca Raton Beach and Park District.
GREG McGHEE by Ed Hill Jr.For New Pittsburgh Courier (NNPA)—Howard freshman quarterback Greg McGhee was named the 2011 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year, joining six other Bison football players to receive post season awards from the MEAC. A 6-foot-3-inch, 200-pound freshman from Perry High School Pittsburgh, Pa., McGhee becomes just the third player in school history to receive the honor, joining former Bison Vontae Long and Willie Carter. McGhee had an outstanding season, starting 11 games and finishing as the team’s second leading rusher with 388 yards and four touchdowns.McGhee had an efficiency rating of 110.5 and passed for 1,784 yards and 13 touchdowns to finish fourth in the MEAC in passing. He was named Rookie of the Week five times during the season and he is a candidate for the Inaugural Jerry Rice Award, given to the top freshman in the Football Championship Division.Junior linebacker Keith Pough, senior defensive lineman Sackie Kerkulah, senior receiver Willie Carter and senior offensive lineman Cory Gwinner were each named to the MEAC all-conference first team, while senior defensive back Lanny Kelly, senior defensive lineman Corey Berry were voted second team; McGhee was also named to the MEAC all-conference second team. The selections were voted on by the MEAC’s coaches and sports information directors.(Edward Hill Jr. is the sports information director for Howard University.)
Facebook27Tweet0Pin0 Submitted by Sen. Karen FraserTumwater’s Warren Backholm recently served as a page for Sen. Karen Fraser, D-Olympia, in the Washington State Senate.“Warren is very interested in the legislative process already. I hope this experience serves to further those interests and that he left here having had a positive and educational experience,” Fraser said.Backholm, 15, lives in Tumwater where he is home schooled. He has an interest in debate, politics, economics and has served as a campaign volunteer.