Reporters Without Borders condemns ransacking of Gaza weekly newspaper offices

first_img Follow the news on Palestine Organisation May 28, 2021 Find out more Israel now holding 13 Palestinian journalists News Help by sharing this information Reporters Without Borders demanded an early and full investigation after the offices of the weekly newspaper Al-Daar in Gaza City were ransacked during the Muslim Id festival between 1-3 February.The Palestinian Authority should act decisively to prevent attacks against journalists and the media in the territories under its control, the international press freedom organisation said in a letter to the Palestinian interior minister Hakam Balaawi.Contacted by Reporters Without Borders, editor in chief of d’Al-Daar, Hassan Al-Kachef, said that the offices had been ransacked and computers damaged but nothing had been stolen, which ruled out a normal burglary. “I think it is more likely a warning to the newspaper because we broach subjects like corruption within the Palestinian Authority,” he said.The correspondent for Al-Arabiya satellite TV was assaulted in Gaza on 8 January 2004. Four months earlier on 13 September a group of armed men ransacked the offices of the same television station in Ramallah. The Palestinian Authority publicly condemned the incidents and announced the opening of an investigation, but nothing more has been heard of it publicly since then.”There has been an alarming rise in acts of vandalism against the media and physical attacks against journalists in the Palestinian territories since September 2003,” said Reporters Without Borders in its letter to the minister. “Our organisation calls on you to take action so that these repeated violations of press freedom do not go unpunished.”The interior ministry should in future guarantee the safety of the media, particularly from harassment from paramilitary groups and settling of scores by politicians,” it concluded. Reporter Without Borders also asked to be kept informed of the outcome of investigations into previous attacks against Al-Arabiya. Al-Daar is a privately owned weekly that was launched at the end of August 2003. Al-Kachef said it printed around 5,000 copies in Gaza and on the occupied West Bank and also scored around 30,000 weekly hits on its website : www.aldaar.com. PalestineMiddle East – North Africa May 16, 2021 Find out more to go further Newscenter_img RSF_en WhatsApp blocks accounts of at least seven Gaza Strip journalists PalestineMiddle East – North Africa RSF asks ICC prosecutor to say whether Israeli airstrikes on media in Gaza constitute war crimes Receive email alerts February 4, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Reporters Without Borders condemns ransacking of Gaza weekly newspaper offices June 3, 2021 Find out more News Newslast_img read more

Continue reading

George Floyd’s family disputes drug allegations

first_imgStephen Maturen/Getty ImagesBY: KARMA ALLEN, ABC NEWS(NEW YORK) — The family of George Floyd pushed back against accusations levied against him in court on Friday after lawyers claimed he had taken drugs prior to his fatal encounter with Minneapolis police in May.Defense attorneys for the four officers charged in Floyd’s death claimed he had swallowed fentanyl, a deadly synthetic opioid, before his arrest, but the slain man’s lawyers disputed that.Ben Crump, a lawyer for Floyd’s family, accused the defense team of blaming the dead, a legal maneuver that “flies in the face of what we see with our own eyes on the video,” he added, referring to viral cellphone footage of an officer with his knee on Floyd’s neck before his death.“The only overdose that killed George Floyd was an overdose of excessive force and racism by the Minneapolis Police Department. George was lucid, cooperative, obeyed commands and had situational awareness when he died,” Crump said in a statement. “The world witnessed his asphyxiation on video, and now defense counsel is asking us to disbelieve our own eyes. Multiple autopsies determined that he died of asphyxiation because of the officers kneeling on his back and neck.”He claimed Floyd told the officers that he couldn’t breathe and “pleaded for his life,” but those pleas were ignored.“It is classic police defense to blame the dead and claim that suspects with any amount of drugs in their system were responsible for their own death,” he said. “It’s called ‘blame the dead,’ and it flies in the face of what we see with our own eyes on the video.”Crump gathered with the Floyd family outside the Family Justice Center, where the pre-trial hearing took place as more than 200 peaceful protesters marched nearby in support. Some gave speeches condemning the police, including the officers involved in Floyd’s death, while others chanted anti-police brutality slogans.Philonise Floyd, George Floyd’s brother, said the “painful” video of his brother dying has traumatized his family forever. But he said listening to the defense team “blame him for his own death” showed how unfair the justice system is.“Watching our brother die on video was the most painful experience of our lives. But listening to those defending these officers blame him for his own death today felt like a knife in the heart,” Philonise Floyd said in a statement. “It shows the degree to which the justice system works to protect those in authority at our expense.”Crump also accused the opposing counsel of portraying “negative narratives” often used against Black victims of police brutality, in which individuals effectively are “assassinated a second time when the official story line destroys their character after they are dead.”Attorney Antonio Romanucci, who’s also representing the family in the case, said the officers actions displayed the “shameful failure” of the Minneapolis Police Department.“When George said the first time that he could not breathe, they had a duty to check his oxygen exchange and ensure that he was breathing normally. They did not,” he said in a statement Friday. “In fact, they let him beg and plead for breath until there was none left, and he was dead. They exerted deadly force on a non-violent suspect who was subdued, handcuffed and prone.”In addition to the criminal charges, the family filed a civil lawsuit against the city of Minneapolis and the four officers involved — Derek Chauvin, Tou Thao, Thomas Lane and J. Alexander Kueng — in July. The lawsuit claims they used unnecessary and excessive force when detaining George Floyd, resulting in his death. They are seeking compensatory and special damages and requesting that the city “properly trains and supervises its police officers.”Last month, a defense attorney for Chauvin asked to have all charges dropped against his client, arguing the death of Floyd, 46, allegedly was the result of a drug overdose and not caused by the officer pinning Floyd to the ground with his knee. Chauvin, who was charged with second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter, pleaded not guilty.Attorneys for Lane and Kueng previously argued that their clients were rookies who followed Chauvin’s lead. Bob Paule, an attorney for Thao, said his client’s role was removed from the attack as he was on crowd control while the others restrained Floyd.The officers are scheduled stand trail in March of 2021.The Minneapolis Police Department issued a series of reforms in the wake of the fatal incident. The department now bans officers from shooting at moving vehicles and they are now required to use the lowest level of force possible when apprehending suspects.“The most impactful thing that we do in this profession is when a decision is made and we have to take a life. Sanctity of life is the cornerstone of how we are guided as a police department, so I see these new changes and updates to use-of-force policy, I think, [keep] both both our officers and our public safe,” Police Chief Medaria Arradondo told reporters last month. “It strengthens our values toward de-escalation and encourages a more reportable force.”He said the reforms were aimed at reducing encounters like the one that led to Floyd’s death.“What I have heard from communities over the course of several years is the impact when officers point their weapons at them, even if it doesn’t result in an arrest situation, the trauma that can have,” Arradondo said. “That’s a threatening use of force and we have not captured that before. It’ll be new for our department members, but it speaks to trying to build that public trust.”ABC News’ Stephanie Wash and Alex Perez contributed to this report.Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Continue reading

MTV Live’s New “nugs.net Live Stash” Show Announces Programming Schedule Filled With Jam Favorites

first_imgMTV Live and nugs.net announced a brand new collaboration yesterday, with nugs.net providing live footage from jam-themed shows to air on the MTV Live network. Titled “nugs.net Live Stash,” the show was introduced with two upcoming episodes, featuring The Disco Biscuits at Camp Bisco and Widespread Panic at Red Rocks.Today we’ve learned the extent of the Live Stash schedule, as the program will follow those episodes with a number of jam scene favorites. Moe., The String Cheese Incident, Dead & Company, Umphrey’s McGee, Chris Robinson Brotherhood and Gov’t Mule will all be featured on the series, highlighted by sets at festivals and famed venues across the country.You can see the full schedule below, which indicates the airing date, band, and location for each show. Don’t miss out on your chance to see MTV play real live!nugs.net Live Stash ScheduleSunday 10/2 at 9p­ The Disco Biscuits at Camp Bisco 2016Sunday 10/9 at 9p­ Widespread Panic at Red Rocks 2016Sunday 10/16 at 9p­ moe. at moe.down 2013Sunday 10/23 at 9p­ The String Cheese Incident at Red Rocks 2016Sunday 10/30 at 9p­ Dead and Company at Fenway Park 2016Sunday 11/6 at 9p­ Umphrey’s McGee at LOCKN’ Festival 2016Sunday 11/13 at 9p­ Chris Robinson Brotherhood at LOCKN’ Festival 2016Sunday 11/20 at 9p­ Gov’t Mule at The Capitol Theatre 2015last_img read more

Continue reading

Dutch giant ABP rejects calls to divest from Israeli banks [updated]

first_imgABP, the Netherlands’ €325bn civil service pension fund, has said it will not divest from three Israeli banks due to their alleged involvement in the so-called occupied territories of the West Bank.In a statement, the board responded to an open letter from Desmond Tutu, the former Anglican archbishop for South Africa, who recently waded into the debate over whether the Dutch pension fund should remain invested in the banks.The board said it would stick with its existing policy for responsible investment and that, “based on objective and rational criteria, the investments are not in violation of national or international legislation”.Tutu, a Nobel Peace Prize winner, argued that ABP had in effect contributed to human rights violations through its €68m investment in Bank Hapoalim, Bank Leumi and Bank Mizrahi-Tefahot. The ABP board discussed Tutu’s letter today, together with a petition calling for divestment signed by more than 1.7m people.The petition was organised by Avaaz, an online civic organisation promoting activism.The former archbishop’s letter comes as a report commissioned by Avaaz claimed that roughly 50% of the Dutch public believes ABP’s commitment to the banks is “irresponsible”. Of the 1,000 respondents to the survey, 10% said ABP’s stakes in the banks were of no concern, while approximately 40% said they had no opinion on the matter.The survey asked: “If the directors keep ABP’s investments in Israeli banks that support the settlement of Palestinian land by Israeli settlers, would you view their decision as responsible or irresponsible?”Avaaz said survey results were roughly the same among ABP participants.The civil service scheme said it also received approximately 1,500 emails in support of the investments from members of the Christians for Israel organisation.Earlier today, ABP spokeswoman Jos van Dijk said: “We are dealing with very contradictory signals, which make decision-making very complicated.”Now, ABP has said it plans to maintain its investments in the banks, as it has found no evidence they are involved in human rights violations.According to the pension fund, the banks have merely facilitated money transfers within the so-called occupied territories.Earlier this year, the €152bn healthcare scheme PFZW made the controversial decision to divest from five Israeli banks, including those in which ABP is invested.last_img read more

Continue reading