Neymar deal ‘beyond rationality’, says Wenger

first_img0Shares0000Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says Neymar’s imminent transfer from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain shows fees in the game are now out of control © AFP/File / Jewel SAMADLONDON, United Kingdom, Aug 3 – Neymar’s imminent mega-transfer from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain is “beyond calculation and rationality”, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said on Thursday.In a reference to PSG’s super-rich Qatari backers, Wenger said the 222 million euros ($260 million) deal was a consequence of what happens when “a country owns a club”. “For me, it is the consequence of the ownerships and that has completely changed the whole landscape of football in the last 15 years,” he told a press conference at the Emirates Stadium.“Once a country owns a club, everything is possible.“It becomes very difficult to respect the financial fair play because you can have different ways or different interests for a country to have such a big player to represent a country.“It can’t justify the investments and looks unusual for the game.”Wenger said Qatar’s use of football as a vessel for soft diplomacy meant PSG’s owners did not need to worry about whether the transfer represents value for money.“We are not in a period anymore where you think, in some places: ‘If I invest that, I will get that back.’ We are beyond that,” said the Frenchman.“The number today involves a lot of passion, pride, public interest and you cannot rationalise that anymore.”Citing the 1979 transfer from Birmingham City to Nottingham Forest of Trevor Francis, who became Britain’s first £1 million ($1.3 million, 1.1 million euros) player, Wenger said fees were now out of control.“It also looks like the inflation is accelerating,” he said.“We crossed the 100 million (euros) line last year (when Paul Pogba joined Manchester United from Juventus) and, only one year later, we’re crossing the 200 million line.“When you think that Trevor Francis was the first £1 million player and that looked unreasonable, it shows you how much distance and how far we have come, how big football has become.“It’s beyond calculation and beyond rationality.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Continue reading

West Ham look to pounce for free agent Bernard as Chelsea issue ultimatum

first_img Which teams do the best on Boxing Day in the Premier League era? Latest West Ham News The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 smart causal BIG PRESENTS UP TOP Bernard is yet to secure his next club Every current Premier League club’s best kit from the past decade Where Ancelotti ranks with every Premier League boss for trophies won targets West Ham will reportedly attempt to hijack Chelsea’s deal for Bernard.The Brazilian winger is a free agent after leaving Shakhtar Donetsk and has been a target for multiple top European sides this summer. Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January REVEALED gameday cracker REVEALED center_img What every Premier League club’s fans dream of this Christmas sad day possible standings Alternative Premier League table based on expected goals – lucky Spurs? Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT How the Premier League table could change after the Boxing Day fixtures ANALYSIS 1 revealed Tributes to ‘complete gentleman’ Martin Peters following England legend’s death However, according to the Guardian, West Ham have now revived their previous interest in Bernard after hearing he may be willing to lower his wage demands.Milan and Chelsea are understood to be leading the race for his signature, but it was reported on Saturday that the Blues were losing patience in their pursuit. The Stamford Bridge club, who have offered the 25-year-old a contract, want an answer by Wednesday so they can pursue other targets should he decide against the switch.This has led to West Ham re-entering the race, after formerly ending their interest upon hearing he wanted a £200,000-per-week contract.last_img read more

Continue reading

Fast cleanup demanded

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week Smith, who is charged with 36 felony counts of grand theft, illegally storing and disposing of hazardous waste, and forgery, is out on bond. Dunbar, who is charged with one count of grand theft, is free based on a written promise to appear in court. Both men were arrested Sept. 28. A state investigation showed 331 occasions when the companies picked up waste but did not take it where they were supposed to. On 273 occasions, somebody forged signatures on documents indicating the waste had been delivered to disposal facilities, state officials said. Smith & Thompson’s attorney said the firm’s ownership has changed since the arrests and he has been talking with county officials about speeding up removal of the piles, which were placed there by S&S. Smith & Thompson wants to hire another company with bigger trucks to haul the material away more quickly than it can do itself, attorney Gary E. Moll said. “It is our intention to move that off as quickly as possible,” Moll said. LANCASTER – Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich called for a rapid cleanup of property owned by a waste-hauling firm whose former operators are accused of illegally storing industrial waste and falsifying documents. Antonovich directed county Department of Health Services officials to work with state health officials to speed up the removal from Smith & Thompson Pumping’s property of 8-foot-tall piles of waste material, now leaving at the rate of one or two truckloads a week. “We’re going to use every resource available to get this site cleaned up,” Antonovich aide Norm Hickling said Friday, standing at a neighboring steel-fabrication yard where people say they have been sickened by fumes coming off Smith & Thompson’s yard. Sherwin Smith, co-owner of sister firm S&S, and truck driver Marvin Dunbar have pleaded not guilty to criminal charges filed against them by Los Angeles County prosecutors. Moll said in court documents that the firm transports cooking grease, carwash sludge, waste water from perfume- and shampoo-type manufacturing and septic matter, none of them considered hazardous waste under state law. The firm keeps grease and carwash sludge at its West Avenue L-9 property to allow it to dry out before it is taken to a disposal facility, Moll said in a court document. The piles of material that are being removed are described in a county health department memo as pumice, which Mall said is used in the stone-wash process for blue jeans. “It’s harmless,” Moll said. Attorney Anthony Patchett, representing neighbors who say fumes and dust coming off the property is making them ill, said he believes the pumice was mixed with septic tank waste, camouflaging the septic waste and allowing the operators to avoid paying to dispose of it at a sewage treatment plant. Neighbors said dust blown off the piles burns their eyes and makes breathing difficult. Neighbors obtained a temporary restraining order this week from Antelope Valley Superior Court Judge Frank Jackson, barring Smith & Thompson from storing more waste on its property, and ordering it to make sure the existing waste doesn’t blow away or seep into the ground. Neighbors complain that they had to take action because city and county officials were not acting quickly enough to protect them. “People get agitated because nothing happens,” said businessman Steve McIntosh, who owns a golf cart sales and repair business across the street. “It’s gone on too long.” An odor comes off Smith & Thompson’s property that smells to him “like fried puke,” McIntosh said. Neighbors on Thursday dug up two 55-gallon drums buried at the neighboring property that Smith & Thompson occupied until about 18 months ago. Patchett, the neighbors’ attorney, said he was told 20 more barrels, and possibly larger containers, were seen being buried on the property, which is now a steel fabrication yard. A Los Angeles County Fire Department hazardous-materials unit was called out Friday to examine the barrels, which a fire captain said contained a dry substance that looked like cement dust. The barrels’ contents did not give off flammable vapor and were not acid or caustic, said Capt. Henry Sanchez of Hazardous Materials Task Force 130. There is no way to know how long the drums were there, he said. “It didn’t pose any problems,” Sanchez said. The barrels were dug up by neighbors, using a friend’s small bulldozer, after environmental officials said they would not look for the drums that were said to be buried on the property. “Nobody would come do it,” said Patchett, the attorney. “They said if you find something, you give us a call. That’s what we did.” Charles F. Bostwick, (661) 267-5742 [email protected] 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Continue reading