Elementary schools may be excluded as govt mulls over reopening, VP says

first_imgThe central government is currently formulating a plan to reopen schools, although it is expected to include an exception for elementary schoolchildren.Vice President Ma’ruf Amin said the government was mulling over options to reopen schools gradually in areas considered “green zones” — those that have recorded zero infections or have seen a declining rate of COVID-19 transmission — but likely only for older students.One of the scenarios was to allow junior and senior high schools to reopen but only allow half of their students to enter the premises each day, Ma’ruf said, adding that officials had so far considered keeping elementary schools closed.“We are still thinking about the possibility [of reopening schools],” he said on Monday.He explained that the government was considering reopening schools since there were many complaints that online learning had been ineffective, since students in some regions were not equipped with proper devices or internet access to be able to attend online classes.“We are currently preparing the protocols and the monitoring system. We will soon disseminate more information about this,” Ma’ruf said as quoted by by tempo.co (dpk)Topics :last_img read more

Continue reading

The Gold Coast property that is fit for a Kardashian

first_img2 Charlton St, Southport.IT rivals the Kardashian residence right down to the Ralph Lauren drapes.America’s most famous reality TV family was the inspiration behind this stunning Southport mansion.The giant 5238sq m property has long made headlines with rumours INXS star Michael Hutchence stayed at the estate.Hutchence’s solicitor Stephen Diamond originally bought it in 2000 for $2.3 million and named it ‘Diamond Park’.Impressive outside and in.The estate was last sold by farmer John Lawrie in 2013 for $3.2 million.The mega mansion at 2 Charlton St was completely transformed it into a “Kardashian palace” by owner and designer Fiona Jackson, who bought it in 2013.“We bought the home when we were in Dubai and we flew a Gold Coast draftsman over to do up some designs for us,” Mrs Jackson said.The imposing interior makes quite a statement.As for the Kardashian family, the mother-of-four said she shares the same taste and love for family, including throwing large birthday parties for her children.“I wanted a Kardashian kitchen,” she said.“I stalked anything I could find, even to the point to get the back splashes from Italy and having them hand cut here for the Herringbone effect.Plenty of space to soak up some rays.More from news02:37Purchasers snap up every residence in the $40 million Siarn Palm Beach North6 hours ago02:37International architect Desmond Brooks selling luxury beach villa1 day ago“It is incredibly European, we travel a lot especially in Europe so we take a great deal of ideas from those places too.”Among the features of the seven-bedroom, nine-carport house are fireplaces, cocktail bar, billiards room an atrium foyer with a carved Cherrywood double staircase and a separate ground-floor suite for a housekeeper.Simon J Cowan from Queensland Sotheby’s International Realty is marketing the property.“Its been less than a week since it hit the market and I have had 20 inquiries,” Mr Cowan said.“A well-known doctor inspected it last Saturday and a prominent solicitor has his eye on it too.”Grandeur abounds.WHAT IT INCLUDES:A metal ceiling and marble fireplace feature in the dramatic Ralph Lauren styled living room.Glistening chandeliers and wall sconces are imported from Abu Dhabi which combine with an extensive use antique glass.The billiard room showcases burnt orange walls magnify the New York bar styling of the den, which has a games room, a kitchenette, a cinema with a retractable screen and overhead projector.Royal blue – and white.The Parisian style bathroom is the perfect place to pamper. The claw-foot bathtub adds a touch of luxury.It is rumoured INXS star Michael Hutchence stayed at the estate. Hutchence’s solicitor Stephen Diamond originally bought the home.INSIDE COAST’S MOST OTT HOUSESteps descend through lush lawn and terraced grounds to a new north-south floodlit championship tennis court.Old-world style given a modern twist.last_img read more

Continue reading

Djokovic Quests for Winning Form in Melbourne

first_imgNow that he has had an offseason to recover and regroup, we’ll get the answer to our next question: Was the second half of Djokovic’s 2016 a temporary slump, or was it the beginning of the long-term decline that the game’s greatest players have traditionally experienced as they move toward their 30s? Before turning 29, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal combined to win 30 Slams; since turning 29, they’ve combined to win one. After Laver completed his Grand Slam in 1969, at age 31, he never won another major. Could Djokovic’s fall be as steep? I doubt it. He blamed some of his second-half struggles on personal issues, and there’s no reason not to believe him. More important, the last two times he surrendered the No. 1 ranking, to Federer in 2012 and Nadal in 2013, Djokovic wasted little time before taking it back. In both of those cases, having someone to chase re-energized Djokovic. Would you bet against it happening again in 2017?Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Last June, as he fell to the clay in Court Philippe Chatrier after winning his first French Open, Novak Djokovic was the most dominant male tennis player in more than four decades. With that long-awaited victory, the world No. 1 had become the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to hold all four major titles. Five years after taking over the No. 1 ranking, he had vanquished all of his rivals. The only question that remained, it seemed, was whether Djokovic would go on to become the greatest player in history. Even more ominous for the rest of the tour was the fact that, despite all of his accomplishments, he was still the second-youngest player in the ATP’s Top 10. Yes, Djokovic had turned 29 the previous month, but who was going to stop him from piling up as many Slam titles as he wanted over the next three, four, five, maybe 10 years?Four weeks later we found out the answer: It was Djokovic himself. With no rivals left, no immediate goals to achieve and expectations at an all-time high, he said the joy went out of the game for him. With it went his edge over everyone else. The new tone was set at Wimbledon, where unseeded American Sam Querrey sent Djokovic packing in the third round; it was the first time since 2009 that he had lost before the quarterfinals at a major. From there, Djokovic would go out in the first round at the Olympic Games, fail to defend his late-season titles in Shanghai, Paris and London, and lose his second straight major final to Stan Wawrinka, at the U.S. Open. Djokovic said he needed a rest, and he played like it.last_img read more

Continue reading

Paddy Power politics is addicted to Trump!

first_img Paddy PowerPaddy Power politics has launched as set of new ‘Trump Betting Specials’, with the Irish bookmaker claiming that it ‘might have to launch its own Trump dedicated website’!Fresh to market, Paddy Power is now offering 5/1 that the President is officially accused of ‘foreign collusion’ on the back of this week’s resignation by Michael Flynn as National Security Advisor, following intercepted phone calls with Russian officials.With weekly chaos and scandal attached to the Trump administration, it appears that no one is safe on ‘Team Trump’. Paddy Power has therefore opened its Trump Administration ‘sack race’ market, offering political punters the following odds on the next Trump senior counsel to resign or be axed…9/2         Jeff Sessions6/1         Rex Tillerson6/1         Betsy DeVos17/2       James Mathis10/1       Rick Perry10/1       Ben Carson10/1       Elaine Chao10/1       Ryan Zinke10/1       Sonny PerdueAt present the Irish bookmaker has over 100 markets dedicated to President Trump, as this week it launched its following ‘Russian Trump Specials’Trump to have a Russian airport named after him (12/1)The President to holiday in Russia every year of his term (33/1)Trump and Putin to receive a joint Nobel Peace Prize (66/1)And the businessman-turned-leader to sell Alaska back to the Russians (100/1)Paddy Power Spokesman Patrick ‘Paddy’ Power commented on the : “There was me worrying about 2017 having no major sporting event – I just need to tune into the Trump Show, which is on daily, on Fake News shows everywhere.”“We’ve been Russian out various markets on the President ever since his election – at this rate, we might have to build a whole new website just for him. We’ve a shower of golden bets on Trump, to take the edge off the reality of his reign.” Share Share StumbleUpon Paddy Power raises awareness of Missing People with Motherwell ‘silhouette’ stand August 7, 2020 Flutter moves to refine merger benefits against 2020 trading realities August 27, 2020 Bakhshi and Shaddick launch ‘Art of the Possible’ podcast tracking US 2020 developments August 10, 2020 Submit Related Articleslast_img read more

Continue reading

Family Bonds Over Annual Cardboard Boat Regatta

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisAlpena — The Fourth of July allows families to come together over parades, fireworks, and good food.For one Alpena family, a regatta continues to bring them closer together each year. The Zbytowski family has been competing in the Thunder Bay Cardboard Boat Regatta for the past four years. Before those four years, the family members were spectators until one summer.“Every year we would go down and watch it and there’s four engineers in the family so I always said that someone has to be able to build a boat,” said Gayle Zbytowski, grandmother of the family.The group put their minds together and crafted “Over Engineered.” Eric Zbytowski was the first to take on the challenge of engineering, designing, and creating a cardboard boat that would float and win the competition. The boat was in commission for four years, facing tweaks and alterations to get the vessel just right for each competition. The boat won two awards over those fours years, but Eric believed that this year it was time for a change not only in boats but the number of boats.“This year we built the first [new] boat pretty much as the same format as the other one, just a lot smaller,” said Eric. “We’re also building a second boat so I can compete with the kids.”With Zibby 1 and Zibby 2 in the water, the Zbytowski’s can double their chances of victory. Eric’s children Jacob and Kelana will pilot the smaller boat. The boats are sponsored by NAPA Auto Parts. The Zbytowski’s will enter their fifth year competing at the regatta. No matter the outcome, it’s always a fun time for the family to get together and work towards achieving victory but ultimately having fun. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Use caution on the 4th: Fireworks can trigger PTSD in veteransNext Battle of the Paddles Kicks Off 18th Annual Maritime Festivallast_img read more

Continue reading