Polish Navy Takes Command Over Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group One

first_img View post tag: Mine View post tag: NATO View post tag: over Back to overview,Home naval-today Polish Navy Takes Command Over Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group One On Thursday, January 17th, the Polish Navy assumed command over Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group One. ORP ‘Kontradmiral Xawery Czernicki’ became the flagship of the Group and Cdr Piotr Sikora (Polish Navy) was appointed as the Commander of the SNMCMG1.The official Change of Command Ceremony took place at Naval Port in Gdynia, alongside the flagship ORP “Kontradmiral Xawery Czernicki” with participation of the crews of two other MCM vessels – FGS “Weilheim” and ORP “Czajka”. Deputy Commander Maritime Command Northwood Rear-Admiral Jacques De Solms, Commander of Belgian Naval Component Rear-Admiral Michel Hofman and Polish Navy Commander-In-Chief Vice-Admiral Tomasz Mathea attended the ceremony.This is the second time in three years that NATO has entrusted the role of Commander of Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 1 to the Polish officer. The staff of the Group is comprised of ten officers – one from Italy and nine from Poland.In the first half of the year the SNMCMG1 will consist of the following ships:ORP „Kontradmiral Xawery Czernicki” (Flagship – Poland);ORP “Czajka” (Poland);BNS “Belis” (Belgium);FGS “Weilheim” (Germany);HNOMS “Hinnoy” (Norway);HNLMS “Urk” (The Netherlands).SNMCMG1 (Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group 1) provides a continuous Maritime Mine Countermeasures capability for operations in peacetime and periods of conflict. The force demonstrates the support of the contributing nations to the NATO alliance. SNMCM Groups are key assets in the NATO Response Force (NRF) and are able to fulfill a wide range of roles from humanitarian tasks to high intensity operations. They are able to deploy at short notice and are often the first assets to go into an operational theatre both enabling and making a significant contribution to subsequent naval operations. SNMCMG1 makes the sea a safer place for everyone. Among others, the Group will conduct Historical Ordnance Disposal operations to minimize the threat from old WWII mines for all those who use the sea for their benefit – fishermen, cargo ships, ferries and the like.[mappress]Naval Today Staff, January 18, 2013; Image: Polish Navy View post tag: Naval Polish Navy Takes Command Over Standing NATO Mine Countermeasures Group One View post tag: Command View post tag: Group View post tag: News by topic Authorities January 18, 2013 View post tag: Polish View post tag: Defense View post tag: Countermeasures View post tag: takes View post tag: Defence Share this article View post tag: Standing View post tag: one View post tag: Navylast_img read more

Continue reading

Davis slams Red Force for inadequate preparation

first_imgPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad (CMC) – Former West Indies batsman Bryan Davis, has slammed the preparation of the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force, after the national franchise lost their third game in four outings in the Regional Four-Day Championship on Monday.The 76-year-old, who played four Tests in 1965 against Australia, said the trial games which had been used in the lead-up to last month’s start of the tournament had been inadequate in getting the side ready for the longer format.“I don’t think the team for the last three years has been a well-prepared team,” Davis told the NewsDay here.“I don’t like the whole preparation aspect of the trial matches how it is played, it is too lackadaisical; it does not seem to be following any definite order.“When you reach this level of cricket, this level of cricket is one step away from Test cricket. I think it is preparation. We are not properly prepared for four-day matches.”Red Force started the tournament strongly when they defeated Windward Islands Volcanoes by nine wickets at Queen’s Park Oval here.Their form declined drastically since then, however. They slumped to a 292-run loss to Barbados Pride at the Oval here, drew with Leeward Islands Hurricanes in the third round before suffering back-to-back defeats to Jamaica Scorpions and reigning champions Guyana Jaguars.In their most recent defeat at the Guyana National Stadium in Georgetown on Monday, Davis said he had witnessed a side lacking in motivation.“They have talented players there but I looked at some of the cricket (during the last game) through the computer and men walking around with their shoulders down and they don’t look like if they happy,” said the Trinidadian, who played 112 first class games including two seasons for Welsh county Glamorgan.“They are playing the game but they look like a losing bunch of players. So somehow they are not motivated, and a team is only motivated when they feel they’re good.”Davis believes Red Force’s fortunes may benefit from a change in the captaincy. Currently, Yannick Ottley has charge of the squad but Davis argued the responsibility was too much for the 25-year-old.“I think it is very unfair to put Yannick Ottley as captain of the team because I don’t think he has that experience and I don’t think he has that knowledge,” Davis said.“He might develop it and I hope he does, but certainly he is far too green a cricketer to put into that situation. I think it is tough on him, I am not blaming him, but all this comes back to the selectors.Red Force lie bottom of the six-team standings.last_img read more

Continue reading

Rudisha Thankful after Surviving Car Crash

first_img“I am fine with no injuries,” Rudisha tweeted. “Thank you for your prayers.”The collision occurred at around 22:30 local time on Saturday (20:30 BST) as the two-time world champion was travelling to his home in Kilgoris, western Kenya.Keroka police chief Walter Abondo said: “Rudisha was rushed to the Keroka Sub County Hospital where the doctors revealed that the athlete had not suffered any fractures, and he has been allowed to go home and rest.”Rudisha has not competed since the Shanghai Diamond League meeting in May 2017 because of recurrent back and knee injuries and he is reported to have started light training with a view to defending his Olympic title at Tokyo 2020.He has a wild card for next month’s World Athletics Championships in Doha but he is not expected to compete in the national trials in Nairobi on 12-13 September.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram Two-time Olympic champion David Rudisha has thanked “the Almighty God for the gift of life” after surviving a car accident in his native Kenya.The world 800m record holder, 30, was driving his SUV on the Nairobi-Kisumu highway when a tyre burst and the vehicle collided head-on with a bus.Rudisha was treated for minor soft-tissue injuries and police confirmed there were no deaths in the accident.last_img read more

Continue reading